So far everything was fine, it was spinning, even purring, like music paper. And you suddenly realize that your dryer is having trouble . Does it stop spinning, or does it not heat up anymore? Several signs of a breakdown exist, and several scenarios are then possible. By discovering them and fixing them, you can probably save your dryer for a few more years.
If your dryer has this type of symptom(s), here are the probable causes, the elements to check, and the different solutions to repair or replace them.
Possible failure scenarios
No matter how well you maintain your household appliances, such as the washing machine or the dryer, they may still encounter some breakdowns, or wear and tear. If your appliance no longer runs, or no longer as well as before, or no longer heats properly, here are the most probable causes, in any case those which are usually the most frequent:
- The power supply may simply be out of order. cause. If the lights are off, then you must check the connection of the device, or the circuit breaker in the house. If they apparently have no problem, then you may have a bad contact problem or an electronic card problem if your device has one.
- A mechanical part may be damaged. A simple little malfunction can sometimes have unintended consequences. And in terms of mechanical parts, the dryer has plenty. We will list the main ones later in this article.
- Often, the drum belt is the cause. It can be prevented from turning correctly if you load your machine too much, or be damaged, broken. The belt is certainly one of the biggest causes of dryer failures.
- The resistance of the dryer may also be faulty. It is what produces the heat and, therefore, without it, it can no longer perform this essential function in order to properly dry your laundry.
- You may not have thought of it, but it could also be that your water collection tank is simply full. It is recommended to empty it after each cycle to avoid this inconvenience.
- The fluff filter may also be clogged. This state of affairs can slow down your machine from cycle to cycle.
- The capacitor may be faulty, damaged. You have to be careful, because you risk damaging your engine afterwards.
- Finally, it may quite simply be that a pipe or conduit is obstructed, clogged. A vacuum cleaner will be perfect for unclogging it.
In order to know what is really the failure, or the cause of a malfunction of your dryer , there are therefore several parts of this device to check (quite easily for the most part).
For some of them, the repair will be easy, you may not need an intervention by a professional. For others of course, it may be necessary to call on a technician, a specialist in this type of device. In any case, checks should be made before alarming you.
The elements of the dryer to check
In order to be able to perform the drying function , the dryer must be able to rotate its drum, which itself is driven by a motor. It is these main elements that can be damaged or defective and, thus, cause the breakdown that you have observed. Or elements present around them, and which, if you are not careful, can damage them later.
- The drum
First and most important element, the heart of your household appliance : the drum. It is already necessary to check that it turns correctly, that it does not make an unusual noise. Because, in this case, he is the first part to check.
Several elements make it up, including bearings, which can wear out. If you find them damaged, you can change them. To do this, you remove them by unscrewing the top panel and the side panels: there is one on the right and the other on the left, located below the drum. You can check their status by rotating the drum manually. If they make noise, they are indeed damaged. A retaining ring is to be removed from each of them, by lifting the drum a little. You then have to place the new bearings in place of the old ones.
There are also felts, placed on both sides of the device, protecting the drum, which must be checked. If they are damaged, the drum then rubs against the sheet metal and may be damaged. They are also replaceable.
The motor is obviously important, since it simply allows the drum to rotate. If you feel hot and hear an unusual noise, it is probably that the motor's electrical winding is faulty or damaged. In this case, the motor will no longer turn, and you will have to replace it.
To replace a dryer motor , you need a good hour ahead of you, patience and several steps that should not be overlooked. But it is doable. The most complicated being perhaps to reassemble the elements.
Do not neglect the replacement of an engine. It not only drives the drum, it also allows the turbine to move the heated air, and participates in the dehumidification of the laundry.
- The starting capacitor
The capacitor helps start the motor. The latter may no longer start and be damaged with several cycles without checking. In order to check if the condenser is damaged, start the drum by hand when the motor seems to “force”. If it turns despite everything, it is that the capacitor is damaged, and not the motor.
The capacitor cuts off after starting, otherwise it can heat up and become dangerous. If the motor does not run during drying, or runs poorly, if the capacitor heats up, swells or smells like plastic, it must be replaced. This small cylinder is held on both sides by two thimbles, sometimes doubled. It is also replaceable with a little skill.
Warning: if you want to replace it yourself, wait until it is completely discharged before starting.
- The thermostat and the belt
The safety thermostat can start and cut off the heating of the appliance. It does this in particular when the engine stops, or when the belt is broken. If you want to test your thermostat, you will need a multimeter in the Ohmmeter position.
Some thermostats can be reset by a small push button, but it is often preferable to replace it in the event of repetitive failures. And, if it has engaged, it is probably that another element is faulty, in particular perhaps the belt.
This allows the drum to rotate and, if it breaks, the thermal safety engages. It may simply be worn, in which case only its replacement is sufficient. Or it may be broken due to blockage of the felts, segments or bearings, or if the weight of the linen is too great. So also check these points.
The belt can be replaced in several separate steps, which require a complete disassembly and reassembly of the device.
- The tensioner roller
The rear bearing, or tensioner roller of your device supports the drum by the shaft. It is sometimes made of brass, sometimes made of a ball bearing. If your dryer produces a squeaking or scraping noise, you should check the condition of this part.
Do not hesitate to replace it if its condition seems bad to you.
In any case, call a professional if in doubt. And mainly if your device is still under warranty. Replacements and repairs can be covered in several cases.