If you like playing with your pc and video games, this guide is exactly what you need to increase and maximize the performance of your pc. In Windows it is possible to enable a particular mode, the game mode, which can increase your frames in video games, thus allowing you to make the most of your PC's performance.
This system can be used on both Windows 10 and the latest Windows 11 and can do more than just get you a few more frames. Its setting is pretty simple to set up and, as you will notice, it can help you improve the performance of many apps.
How game mode works in Windows
When you enable game mode, Windows makes changes in the background to give games priority access to system resources as soon as a game is detected to be running. If there is no game running, the resource allocation continues as normal.
Interestingly, game mode disables notification of items such as Windows Update services .
The purpose of this system is to optimize the performance of less performing PCs.
How to enable game mode in Windows
If you have never enabled game mode this, if you are using Windows 10 or 11, it will be activated automatically at the time of the game. Otherwise, if you have previously deactivated it or want to verify that it is activated, proceed as follows:
- Open the app> Windows Settings by clicking on the gear icon or by pressing the Windows key + i .
- Select the Games section in the settings, then the Game Modes section ;
- Use the slide switch to enable game mode if it has been disabled;
How to apply game mode to Windows apps
As anticipated, you can apply the game mode to almost all Windows apps thus improving PC performance. The performance increase will vary between apps and between different computers . To do it;
- Open the app you want to apply the game mode to. Make sure it is checked if you have multiple apps open;
- Now open the Windows Game Bar from the app's main menu or by pressing the Windows + G key combination (shortcut);
- Several game mode related widgets should appear on the screen. Click the Settings button in the top toolbar;
- Click on the General Settings tab and look for the “Remember this game” option;
- Check the box next to this option then make sure the app you want to apply the game mode to is shown below the setting box;
This way, every time the app is launched, Windows will recognize it as a game. The resources in game mode will then be applied thus increasing the performance of the app.
How to disable game mode for apps
If you notice a decrease in the performance of your pc you can simply prevent the game mode from recognizing other apps such as games.
To disable the game mode for a particular app, you can repeat the steps we just saw then uncheck the specific box.
It is important to make sure that the app you have applied the game mode to is open and selected. If you have applied the game mode to several apps, open each one in turn and repeat the procedure to disable the game mode.