Using smartphones involves downloading apps and storing files such as photos and videos. All this amount of information usually exceeds the original memory capacity of the device. This is why most users use SD cards, also known as external memories or memory cards.
If you have purchased a telephone set and want to make the most of it, you must learn how to place these memories. Here we show you how to activate the SD card on your smartphone step by step . So you can start using it to save your downloaded images, documents, videos and applications.
Install and start using memory or SD card
As you can see, the memory card is important for the use of your smartphone . You can choose the storage capacity that suits you best according to your need and budget. To install the SD memory on your Smartphone correctly, just follow the steps below.
Install SD memory on your Smartphone
Before activating the SD card on your smartphone, you need to start the installation. This merits the location of the SD card slot of your Smartphone . Normally, it is on one of the sides of the Smartphone, above or below the battery. You can consult the user manual of your phone if you have questions about it.
- Make sure the phone is turned off and lift the back cover of the device
- When locating where the SD card is placed, check to see if it has any additional covers, trays, or locks to remove . Do this so that it does not interfere with the placement of the SD memory or damage its design.
- Make sure that both the memory and the slot are clean. Dust or moisture could interfere with the connection between the card and the phone .
- Place the memory in the slot by matching the metal contact on the card and the phone.
- If the slot has an additional lock, snap it back into place.
- Put the back cover of the device in place.
As soon as you have successfully completed these steps, turn your Smartphone on again. You may notice that the device reports the initial reading from the SD memory . A menu may be displayed to initiate activation of the SD card as storage space.
Activate SD memory
Activation of the SD card starts as soon as the device reads the new storage unit. The user receives an automatic notification that may contain a menu of options to configure external memory. To activate the SD card on the Smartphone, do the following.
- Press "Configure" when the new storage unit notification menu appears.
- Choose how you want the memory card to be used. The Smartphone will present two options . The first is "portable storage," which is used to move expendable files (such as photos and documents). The second option is to configure the card as "internal storage". With this option, in addition to files, you can store any type of data, including apps.
- Follow the steps shown in the help menu, and wait for the correct data transfer to take place.
- When the file transfer is complete, tap the "Done" option.
Remember that if you choose the "internal storage" settings, the apps can be erased when removing the memory from the phone. Once the SD card is removed from the device, it is automatically formatted . So it is very important that you pay careful attention when performing this procedure.
If you need to use the SD card on multiple devices or it is your general external storage unit, select "portable storage". In this way, you will not lose the information related to applications, which can damage the operation of your phone when they are removed.
Move your files to SD memory
If you have already activated the SD card but have files that you did not transfer, they still remain in the phone memory. You can free up space by moving your files to external memory . To transfer your photos, music and videos to the memory card, simply do the following:
- Open the settings menu on your phone.
- Go to Storage and USB> Internal storage
- Choose the files you want to transfer . Make a multiple selection by pressing and holding each of the folders or items to move.
- When the choice is complete, press the "More" menu, represented by three vertical dots.
- Select the "Copy to" option, and choose the SD card from the drop-down menu: "Save to".
- Press the "Copy" option.
- Choose the files you just transferred from the internal storage menu . To search for them again, perform steps 1 and 2.
- After having them all selected, delete the files by pressing the trash can symbol in the top menu.
- Confirm the deletion of files.
Move your apps to SD memory
If you chose your new SD memory as internal storage, surely you want to pass your apps to it. This can help you improve the speed of data processing on your phone . However, it is important to emphasize that, once the SD card is removed, its content is formatted.
As soon as it is installed again on this or another device, the information of the apps will disappear. On the other hand, there are some applications that do not support the transfer to internal storage . So this option can only be carried out with apps that allow it.
- Open the configuration menu of your Smartphone.
- Press in the applications menu.
- Press the option of the application you want to transfer to external memory
- The application data will open and you will see the "storage" option. This indicates that the app can be transferred.
- From the "Storage Used" menu, tap the "Change" option. In some mobiles, when you open the “storage” option, the drive to which you can transfer appears. In that case, just select "SD card".
- Wait for the app transfer to take place.
Install your SD card and enjoy extra storage
Don't wait any longer to activate your SD card. As you can see, it is a very easy and useful procedure for your device. You can save everything you need and much more without affecting the performance of the phone. Get the most out of your external memory by activating it on your Smartphone.